Superintendent: Ann Smith – (519)-785-2496
Committee: Marg.Friedrich, Vicki Slack, Betty King, Irene Puddester, Louise Vanderloo, Joyce Baker, Shirley McMillan, Lori Guest, Joy Westlaken, Mary Popovich
In the interest of a better product, Class 6 entries will be received at the hall Friday, September 13, 2019 up to 1:00 pm only. Please note that this applies to Class 6 entries only. All other classes in the hall will be judged Friday forenoon. Culinary Arts is exhibited in the warm room. PLEASE NOTE: TIME: 1:00 pm.
NEW – Please note – in all categories – there is 1st and 2nd prize only.
“Baking Specials” Items (#23 – #67) which belong to the specified sponsor must be picked up anytime between 4:00 & 6:30. Any items not picked up will be disposed of. All other baking items to be picked up at 4:30 on Saturday.
Rules & Regulations: – PLEASE READ:
- One entry only one per section, by membership only.
- One entry card only per item.
- At judges request, all baking to be in clear plastic bags large enough for easy removal. No saran wrap or similar wrapping.
- PIES: To prevent soggy crusts, temper foil plates by puncturing holes in bottom of plate and bake empty plate at 400 degrees for 5 minutes or lightly butter bottom of pie plate to make crust brown. It is suggested that pies be placed on approx. 9” foil plate.
- No store bought pie crusts or tart shells. No canned pie fillings.
- Cakes displayed on foil covered cardboard or plastic dome containers.
- No cake, cookie or bread mixes and no sticky frosting (unless specified).
- No paper cups on muffins or cupcakes.
- Loaves of bread should be 8x4x3 approximately.
- Buns joined and rolls separated. Tip: Bake rolls in a muffin tin or completely separate on a flat pan. Rolls are single with unbroken sides and have a crust completely surrounding all sides.
- “Baking Specials” Items #23-67 which belong to the specified sponsor must be picked up anytime between 4:00 & 6:30. Any items not picked up will be disposed of. All other baking items to be picked up at 4:30 on Saturday.
- No unauthorized person is allowed in the area where judging its taking place.
- In sections where there is only one entry, unless the entry is worthy, no prize will be awarded.
- 2019 canned products only – mason jars with new rings & snaps to be used. No food colouring allowed.
- In the event 1st prize is not awarded, the 2nd place winner will be presented to the sponsor upon Judges discretion.
A. Rodney-Aldborough Fair Baking Champion open to males or females winning the total points in sections C-K and Sections 1 – 77 Points awarded for section A: Special or first-3 points, second-2 points, third-1 point. Prize: $25 from Rodney Aldborough Fair Board and $20 gift certificate from Hair Razors, Kathryn Okolisan.
NEW – Runner Up – Mayor Duncan McPhail will donate $20 gift certificate from local business in West Elgin.
B. Rodney Aldborough Fair Junior Baking Champion open to males or females (ages 12-21) entering at least 4 items in sections J1-J-11. Junior participants may enter in senior category but will be judged against seniors. PLEASE MARK ON ENTRY CARD ‘JUNIOR’. Points for champion will be accumulated for entries section J1-J11 and sections 1-77 and Sections C-K. Points awarded same as Section A. Prize: $25 from Rodney Aldborough Fair Board and $20 gift certificate from Cindy Horvat, Unisex Hair Salon.
NEW – Runner Up – Mayor Duncan McPhail will donate $20 gift certificate from local business in West Elgin.
C. Superintendent Special – Open to all participants. 9 x 13 carrot cake with cream cheese icing. 1ST PRIZE WILL BECOME PROPERTY OF SUPERINTENDENT. This special category will be enjoyed by the committee members on the day of judging. Prize donated by superintendent. 1st Prize only – $25.
D. Sponsor Special- Marsha Knapp – Strawberry Jam – 2 x 500 ml; Prize – $20.00
1st prize only-entry becomes property of sponsor.
E. Sponsor Special – Nancy McGregor – Orange Cake -8 x 8 – uniced – Prize – $20.00
1st place only -entry becomes property of sponsor.
F. “Best Home Canning” Total highest accumulated points in sections 1–12; One Prize only – $30 Gift Certificate from Bernardin.
G. Chocolate Chip Cookie Competition – Open to all youth ages 10 to 15 (as of Dec.31 of current year). One entry per exhibitor only. Entry must consist of 8 cookies displayed on a firm disposable plate. Cookies to be no larger than 3” (6.75 cm) and no smaller than 2” (5 cm.) Prize: 1st $15; 2nd – $10.
Recipe must accompany entry. Consent to publish must be signed. 1st prize winner may enter cookies in Ontario Agricultural Societies District competition in November, District winner to compete in Provincial competition.
H. President’s Special –Alyson Hawken– 1st place only entries becomes property of sponsor.
Almond Cake – recipe attached – Prize – $30;
Gluten-free Coconut bars – recipe attached – Prize – $30.
I. Past President’s Special – Melanie McLeod 1st prize only entry becomes property of sponsor:
Oatmeal choc chip cookies – 1 dozen – $10;
60/40 whole wheat bread – $10;
White dinner rolls – 1 dozen – $15;
Butter Tarts – plain – 1 dozen – $15;
Oatmeal date cookies – 1 dozen – $15;
Carrot muffins – 1 dozen – $15;
Plain banana muffins – 1 dozen – $15;
Apple pie – 9” full top – $15
J. NEW Sponsor Special – Mayor Duncan McPhail – 9” Elderberry Pie
1st – $15, 1st prize only – entry becomes property of sponsor.
K. Sponsor Special – Tony Cope – Cope Amusements. Lemon Pie with no topping. Prize – $25.00, 1st prize only – entry becomes property of sponsor.
NEW -PLEASE NOTE – Junior Baking Specials, Canning, Baking Section and Baking Specials only have a 1st and 2nd prize only. Above Rules & Points apply to all entries.
JUNIOR FAIR BAKING ENTRIES – (Ages 12 – 21) for Section B. No mixes allowed. Prizes Section J1-J11; $7, $5,
J-1 Chocolate Chip Cookies (4)
J-2 Peanut Butter Cookies (4)
J-3 Plain Rice Krispie Squares-2” squares (4)
J-4 Chocolate Fudge (plain) 1”squares (4)
J-5 Chocolate Brownies -uniced – 2”squares (4)
J-6 Banana Muffins – Plain (4)
J-7 Blueberry Muffins – Plain (4)
J-8 Sugar Cookies – (4)
J-9 Apple Pie – 9” Full top (spiced)
J-10 White Bread from Bread Machine
2019 Canned products only – mason jars with new rings and rubbers to be used.
Prizes sections #1–#12; $7, $5,
- Apple Sauce – 1 pint
- Peaches – 1 pint
- Pears – 1 pint
- Strawberry jam – not less than 8 oz. cooked
- Peach jam – not less than 8 oz. cooked
- Hot dog relish – 1 pint
- Sweet pickles – 1 pint
- Bread & butter pickles – 1 pint
- Dill pickles – 1 pint
- Pickled beets – 1 pint
- Spaghetti sauce – meatless – 1 pint
- Chili sauce – 1 pint
NEW – Baking Section- 1st – $7 & 2nd – $5 – Prizes sponsored by Mayor Duncan McPhail
- White Bread
- Bran muffins with raisins (4)
- Blueberry muffins (4)
- Banana Chocolate chip muffins (4)
- Peanut Butter cookies (4)
- Chocolate chip cookies (4)
- Raisin oatmeal cookies (4)
- Chocolate brownies (4)
- Butter tart squares (4)
- Shortbread cookies (4)
In Section #23-#67 the entry winning the special prize becomes the property of the sponsor whose name appears in brackets. If no entry is made, money given as special prizes will be considered a donation to the Fair Board.
“Baking Specials” 1st Place items #23-#67 which belong to the specified sponsor must be picked up anytime between 4:00 & 6:30. Any item not picked up will be disposed of. All other baking items to be picked up at 4:00.
Prizes sections #23-#30 – $10, $5,
- Date & Nut loaf (Ruth Ann Howse)
- Banana loaf (Bank of Montreal)
- Cranberry Lemon loaf (Tiny Tots Nursery School)
- Lemon loaf -iced (Diana Wright)
- Lemon Poppy Seed loaf (Val Klein)
- Lemon Zucchini loaf (Bill Havens)
- Pumpkin loaf-spiced – (Louise Bittermann)
- Banana Cranberry Loaf (Lois Woolner)
Prizes in section #31–#60 – $15, $5,
Please note: Rule # 4 to cook bottom pie crust thoroughly.
- 1 dozen cinnamon buns – uniced (Allan Woolner)
- Dutch apple pie (Brian McGill)
- Cherry pie, lattice top (Andrew McCallum)
- Elderberry pie (Andrew McCallum)
- Pumpkin pie, spiced (Janet Johnston)
- Blueberry pie (Andrew McCallum)
- Raspberry pie (Ann Smith)
- Bumbleberry pie (Gary Smith)
- Mincemeat pie (Dave Johnston)
- Raisin pie – full top (Mary Mylrea)
- Raspberry/Rhubarb pie (Bill Denning)
- Sugarless apple pie, spiced, (Brien Cornwall)
- Sugarless cherry pie (Val Klein)
- Sugarless pumpkin pie (Brien Cornwall)
- Raisin pie – lattice top (Bill Havens)
- 1 doz. raspberry tarts (Natalie Gillis)
- 1 doz. butter tarts-with nuts (Jim Holdaway)
- 1 doz raspberry coconut tarts (Judy Macuda)
- 1 doz. butter tarts/plain (Bryan Pinder)
- 1 doz. raisin tarts (Brian McGill)
- 1 doz. pecan tarts (Larry McGahan)
- 1 doz. rum & raisin tarts (Marg Friedrich)
- 1 doz. date-filled oatmeal cookies (John Johnson, Auctioneer)
- 1 dozen shortbread cookies (Lise VanDyk)
- Approximate 9 x 9 carrot cake-iced (Shawn Gillis)
- Approximate 9 x 9 banana cake – iced (Bill Denning)
- Approximate 9 x 9 candy bar squares, include recipe (Shaun Dowling)
- 9 x 9 brownies with creative topping, include recipe (Shaun Dowling)
- Angel food cake, iced (Jill Soos)
- Gluten Free oatmeal raisin cookies -1 dozen (Laura Kieraszewicz)
Prize Sections #62-#63 – $20, $6,
- Cinnamon coffee cake (Ron Buchanan)
- Chocolate Chiffon Cake, iced (Barb McFadden)
- Pecan pie (Dianne Downie)
Prize Section: #64 – $20, $6
- 1 loaf “cheesy” cheese bread (Chris Morton)
Prize Section #66-#67 $25, $7
- 9 x 9 cake made with honey (Bernie Wiehle)
- Red velvet cake with cream cheese icing (Lise Van Dyk)
- Light fruit cake, approx 5 1/2” sq. recipe attached (Thompsons) 1st-$25; 2nd-$15
COMMERCIAL SPECIALS – COUNTRY FAIR BAKING CONTESTS
- Robin Hood Flour – “Best Family Recipe” Banana Loaf – Label & recipe must be displayed with entry. 1st prize-$25 product Certificate; 2nd prize-$10 product certificate.
- Robin Hood Flour “Best Lunch Box Snack” – Oatmeal chocolate chip cookies 1 dozen) Label & recipe must be displayed with entry. 1st prize-$25-product certificate; 2nd prize-$10.00 certificate.
- Crisco “Best Family Recipe” – Pecan tarts -( 1 dozen) -Label & recipe must be displayed with entry. 1st prize-$25 product certificate; 2nd prize-$10 product certificate.
- Bernardin Pectin – Raspberry jam – not less than 8 oz. cooked. Label and recipe must be displayed with entry. 1st prize only – $20 gift certificate.
- Bernardin Gift Pack – 3 pints of canning using Bernardin mason jars & snap lids. Judging to be based on creativity, quality of home canned product, perceived value & presentation. 1st prize only – $20 gift certificate.
- Bernardin Snap Lid/Mason Jar Creative Craft Award – Best decorative or functional homemade craft made using a Bernardin mason jar(s) and/or 2 pc Snap Lid as selected by fair. 1st Prize only – $20 product certificate.
Beary Blue Acres (Dennis & Sandra Fischer)
- Best blueberry muffins – (4) – Prize-$7
- Best blueberry jam – 1 pint – Prize -$8
- Ontario Bean Producers Marketing Board will donate $10 for the winner of the best white bean or yellow-eye bean recipe dish.
- O.A.A.S – 6 regular raisin butter tarts (no mini size). The winner will be asked to complete at District 13 level in November 2019. 1st prize- $15.00; 2nd prize-$10.00
All entries will be judged on appearance, taste and texture of the item, as well as the overall creativity and presentation. Commercial specials require a photo to accompany request for prize. Winners of commercial specials please be present at 3:30 Saturday for photo and sign declarations.
POINTS to be awarded in all categories as stated in A & B above for Senior and Junior Baking Champion.