Superintendent: Jill Downie
Committee: Geri Tenuta, Vicki Slack, June Ford, Maria Vanlith, Margie Alderton, Rosanne Schleihauf, Lynda Ford, Joan Lashbrook
1. All entries must be in the hall by Thursday, September13, 2018 by 9:00pm
2. No exhibitor may have more than one entry per section. Only Quilt work can be entered again in alternate years.
3. Judges will disallow any soiled, defaced or old work. Entries must be clean and up to date work. In sections where there is no competition, unless the exhibit is worthy, no prize will be awarded.
4. While every reasonable precaution will be taken to ensure the safety of articles submitted for judging, the exhibitors will assume all risks, and the Rodney Aldborough Fair is not responsible for damaged, lost or stolen goods.
The Ontario Association of Agricultural Societies (OAAS), has 2 Champion Quilt Competitions for And Quilted Quilts, and a Machine Quilted Quilt/Wall Hanging.
Both quilts must be at least 324” on the perimeter, to be eligible to proceed to the next level of OAAS. Smaller quilts will be eligible in their categories at the fair, but will not be judged for the OAAS. Only first place quilts at the local fairs will be eligible for competition at district level.
To enter this competition, the Grand Champion Quilt must first compete in the District Quilt Competition in November. The 1st prize quilt is then entered in the OAAS competition which is held at the OAAS Annual Convention in Toronto in February. The Exhibitor will retain ownership of the quilt at all levels of competition. The hand quilted quilt must be solely made and hand quilted by an individual. Please attach samples to every entry and include the name of the pattern.
Helpful Hints: Attention should be given to general appearance and design; keep backing smooth and free of wrinkles; a quilt or quilted article must have 3 layers, a front, a filling and a back; keep stitches uniform and evenly spaced on both front and back; no pencil or stencil markings should be visible; points and corners mitered or rounded.
If you do not want to have your double size plus quilt entered into the Regional Competition, please state this clearly on your entry tag.
Prizes 1-15: $11, $8, $5
- Appliqued quilt, hand quilted
- Pieced quilt, decorated fabrics, hand quilted
- Quilt, plain on both sides, hand quilted
- Quilt, new pattern, hand quilted
- Quilt, old pattern, hand quilted
- Embroidered Quilt, hand quilted
- Quilt, strip method, hand quilted
- Quilted Wall Hanging (ready to hang)
- Ontario Agricultural Annual Champion Hand Quilt Competition – Grand Champion Section 1-8 are eligible.
Machine/hand quilted wall hanging is measured on perimeter. Total perimeter to be a minimum of 480cm (192”), square or rectangle.
Quilt/wall hanging must be solely made and machine quilted b the exhibitor on a short arm machine. In this section, no long arm machines are to be used and must have visible machine quilting.
- Machine Quilt, cotton pieced, quilted by exhibitor
- Machine Quilt, pieced sampler, quilted by exhibitor
- Machine Quilt, preprinted cloth or plain fabric, quilted by the exhibitor
- Machine Quilt, appliqued, quilted by exhibitor
- Machine Quilt, Wall Hanging (ready to hang; size stated above)
- Ontario Agricultural Annual Champion Machine Quilt Competition – Grand Champion Section 10-14 are eligible.
Prizes 16-30: $7, $5, $4
- Lap Quilt – any type of quilting; approximately 50” x 65”
- Tie Quilt – any size
- Special for Organizations – quilt showing best quilting $10
- Quilt, machine quilted using long arm – larger than crib quilt
- Crib Quilt, pieced, machine or hand quilted
- Quilt for a doll bed – smaller than 30” x 36”
- Quilt Wall Hanging, any size (workmanship judged)
- Quilt, machine quilted using Short arm – larger than crib quilt
- Embroidered Quilt – any size
- Rag Quilt – any size
- Quilt, Cheater or Panel – any size
- Attic Treasure Quilt Over 20 years old – any size; Does not need to be quilted by exhibitor
- Quilt – Your choice; that is Not Listed
- Afghan, knitted
- Afghan, crocheted
Yarn and Fabric: Prize Section 31-68: $6, $4, $3
- One quilt block – mounted
- Cushion, quilted
- Cushion, crocheted or knitted
- A stuffed toy
- Hot dish pad
- Potholders (2) or oven mitts (fabric)
- Table runner – any design
- One pair of dish clothes, knitted or crocheted
- Kitchen finger towel
- Any article made from recycled “blue jeans” (not large quilt)
- Hand crafted tote/grocery bag – fabric
- Something new made from something old – fabric
- Handmade Christmas Stocking
- Tacky Tie
- Fabric Pin Cushion
- Any embroidered item
- Pillow Case, Handmade, fun fabric
- Procrastinator – 90% finished article
- Any other yarn or fabric item – that is Not Listed
- Fingerless texting gloves, any style
- Scarf- knitted or crocheted
- Cowl or Infinity scarf
- A pair of slippers – any style
- Mittens – any style
- Pair of socks – knitted
- Poncho or Shawl – knitted or crocheted
- Toque/Hat – knitted or crotched
- Adult Apron
- Any other adult apparel item – that is Not Listed
- Hat – knitted or crocheted
- Mittens – knitted or crocheted
- Baby Outfit minimum of 2 pieces – knitted or crocheted
- Baby Blanket – knitted or crocheted
- Baby Bib
- Kids Socks – knitted
- Child’s apron
- Children’s jeans – Jazzed Up
- Any other child’s apparel item – that is Not Listed
Special Entry: Prize Section $8, $6, $4
- Craft of any kind that displays this year’s fair theme
Crafts Other Than Yarn/Fabric
Prize Section $5, $3, $2
- Decorate Wine Bottle – any occasion
- Ceramic Article – glazed
- Something Useful from Something Useless
- Craft made from Corks
- 2 Greeting cards, hand crafted, your choice (no envelop)
- Jewellery, any method, hand made
- One page of scrapbooking, any theme
- Handmade Christmas tree ornament
- Door wreath – any theme
- Door hanging – any theme (other than yarn/fabric)
- Wind Chimes
- Hand Crafted Sign – not to exceed (18” x 24”)
- Any craft item – that is Not Listed (not to exceed 30” tall)
Special Category for our friends at Elgin St. Tomas Assoc. for Community Living, Quad County Support Services, Retirement Villa or any similar establishment. Also included are developmentally and/or physically challenged Youth or Adult.
There is no entry fee required for this category.
Section Prizes: $5, $3, $2
- Decorated jar or can
- Decorated 4 x 6 picture frame
- Tacky Tie
- Handmade piece of jewellery
- Hot dish pad – any material